1. Industry

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Glenn Halbrooks

Nielsen Releases 2011-2012 DMA Rankings

By September 7, 2011

Most people love reading top ten lists about anything. People who work for local TV stations anxiously await a list of their own -- the annual Nielsen DMA rankings, which isn't a list of 10, but instead 210 designated market areas.

A photo of a television control room
People who work in local TV are eager to see the latest Nielsen DMA rankings.
Photo © VisionsofAmerica / Joe Sohm / Getty Images
The 2011-2012 Nielsen list is now out, which ranks DMAs based on the number of TV households. New York City is ranked at the top, with tiny Glendive, Montana, perenially bringing up the rear as market #210.

The reason people who work in local TV markets want to see the annual list is it can give them bragging rights over those in other cities. For instance, this year Washington, DC has surpassed Atlanta to become Nielsen's eighth-largest DMA.

You can bet someone working for a DC-area TV station will be calling a buddy at an Atlanta TV affiliate to say he now works in a larger market. It sounds juvenile, but this good-natured ribbing will happen countless times all over the country as markets move up and down the list.

Some markets have shown explosive growth in recent years -- Las Vegas, Nevada, which is now 40th, and Ft. Myers, Florida, now ranked 62nd -- are two examples. Both of these markets were in the 90s about 20 years ago, before large numbers of people started moving to the sunbelt.

On the flip side, New Orleans, which suffered a population drop after Hurricane Katrina, has still not bounced back. It's ranked 52nd, when it had once been in the 30s.

Nielsen's DMA list is important -- especially to national advertisers, who may want to only run commercials in the top 50 or top 100 DMAs. People who work in local TV news also look at the list as they plot their next career move, saying that if they're working in a 120s market today, they need to send out resumes to stations in the top 70.

But for news people who are constantly on the move, there are other factors to consider than this market list. A smaller city with a military base or a university may have more news to cover than a larger, sleepy town. A beach community might be a better place to live than a city in the rust belt. Taxes and housing costs are less in some places. Paychecks are larger in others.

So while scouring the list, remember that a job in market #55 Fresno isn't automatically better than one in #56 Little Rock, #57 Richmond or #67 Wichita. Every opening has to be investigated for its benefits beyond market size.

Stay connected through Facebook, Twitter and the free newsletter.

Related Articles:

Comments

August 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(1) Eric says:

Thanks for the read it’s easy to overlook things that have relevance.

August 29, 2012 at 8:23 pm
(2) Eric says:
August 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm
(3) backup says:

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the
layout of your site? Its very well written; I love what youve
got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect
with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only
having one or two pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

my blog backup

August 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(4) Aquaponics made easy says:

Your method of telling the whole thing in this piece of
writing is truly good, every one be capable of easily know
it, Thanks a lot.

Also visit my web page Aquaponics made easy

September 23, 2013 at 1:30 pm
(5) Kamala Barden says:

It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

November 28, 2013 at 12:59 pm
(6) geforce gtx 560 2gb says:

Hi everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and article is actually fruitful for me, keep up posting these articles or reviews.

December 4, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(7) Fastest wireless router says:

With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of
plagorism or copyright infringement? My blog has a lot of
exclusive content I’ve either created myself or outsourced but it
looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over
the internet without my agreement. Do you know any techniques to help protect against content from being stolen?
I’d really appreciate it.

December 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm
(8) Brad says:

You know the type, and you probably determine
if you’re among them. Since then, G-Shock is now very
well-liked by Special Forces groups in several countries,
because of the being “battle tested”. They also
have achieved another significant aim, that regarding pricing their watches so as to fit the pockets of many folks.

December 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(9) Beryl says:

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is
time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I
wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you could write next
articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things
about it!

December 23, 2013 at 2:28 pm
(10) Jolene says:

I’ll right away grab your rss feed as I can’t to find your e-mail subscription hyperlink or newsletter service.
Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me recognize in order that I could subscribe.
Thanks.

January 4, 2014 at 8:47 pm
(11) Chanel says:

Magnesium Oxide: This is an antacid and has been known to cause tumors in
lab rats. Never ever feed your dog with chocolates and caffeine because they are absolutely lethal for your dogs.
Symptoms of poisoning from garlic and onions may include
lethargy, blood in the urine or stool, panting,
diarrhea, and vomiting.

January 19, 2014 at 10:40 pm
(12) how to study anatomy and physiology on your own says:

Schools also use online resources and software to make human anatomy teaching effective.
‘ Erica, a students in the Nursing program,
offers her perspective: ‘I think it’s real interesting to work with the figures that
they have that mimic human vital signs and impulses so
I have an idea of what it means to work with patients.
The amount of knowledge that can be had is extensive.

February 18, 2014 at 1:48 am
(13) %verified_domain% says:

For latest news you have to pay a quick visit world wide web
and on world-wide-web I found this website as a
finest site for hottest updates.